After catching the Fermin Fantasy Fever from ESPN Stats & Info’s Mark Simon (@msimonespn), my friend Drew proposed trying this for the 2012-2013 NBA season as well.
(Final Fermin Update: I held onto my slim lead and edged out a victory of 49.5 WAR to the 49.0 WAR of Drew’s team).
As a refresher, the Fermin Fantasy game was a 1-on-1 game using on the Wins-Above-Replacement (WAR) as the only stat. (More info here).
Here’s an overview of our Frank Fucarino Fantasy game for the NBA. Based on the Felix Fermin game, with a few tweaks/additions:
- Name: The Frank Fucarino League. Drew found a few alliterative F.F. names of obscure players and we both agreed this was the best one.
- Statistic: Win Shares (WS). This worked out well, as with Wins-Above-Replacement (WAR), both of us are novices when it comes to advanced metrics for the NBA. We decided to go with what looks like (at least to us) the closest thing to WAR we cold find: Win Shares (WS).
(Note: As a fan of Mr. Simon and ESPN’s Baseball Today podcast, I like this stat because it reminds me of his posts and comments about Win-Probability-Added)
- Draft Pick Order: Drew picked a random player (Ronnie Seikaly), I picked a random stat (Career 3PT%), we both guessed. My guess: .235 / Drew’s guess: .14. Actual: .188. My guess was was .001 closer than Drew’s and I received the first pick.
- Draft Round Order (teams): We went team by team, alphabetically from Atlanta to Washington.
- Draft Style: Snake. Round 1: Danny, Drew. Round 2: Drew, Danny….etc.
- Special Rules: For each team, the player picking second (player B) would eliminate 3 players from that team. Player A then picks his player for that team, then Player B. Same process for the next round/team.
- Round 31 - Wild Card Pick: After rounds 1-30 (each NBA team). We each picked a Wild Card player. This could be any player not previously picked or eliminated.
- Round 32 -Bomb Pick: After the Wild Card Round picks, the next round was a little different. We each picked a player for the other’s team. This pick was designed for us to pick a player for the other team that we thought would “bomb” with (ideally) a negative WS total for the season. (Could not be player already eliminated or picked, etc)
- Tiebreaker - Team Captains: Our Fermin game was very close this year (I won by 0.5 WAR), so I suggested we each pick a “Team Captain”. The Team Captain would be an honorary title for the team/player and would only be important in the event of a tie. The first and only tiebreaker would be the WS scores of our two Captains. If we need a 2nd tiebreaker, that’d be AWESOME. (Team Danny: Serge Ibaka ; Team Drew: Steve Nash)
- Side Bet - Least Valuable Fuc (LVF): For fun, we each picked the guy on our team that we thought would be the least valuable (other than our “bomb” or “Wild Card” guys). If you get your LVF correct, the other guy buys a round of beer. (Team Danny LVF Guess: Jonas Jerebko ; Team Drew LVP Guess: Jan Vesely)
So that’s it. It took us about an hour to do the draft and it was an incredibly fun experiment for us sports nerds. I recommend you give it a try too!
And may the best man win.
Team DREW / Team DANNY
ATLANTA HAWKS: ZAZA PACHULIA / LOU WILLIAMS
BOSTON CELTICS: JASON TERRY /JEFF GREEN
BROOKLYN NETS: BROOK LOPEZ / KRIS HUMPHRIES
CHARLOTTE BOBCATS: BISMACK BIYOMBO / BEN GORDON
CHICAGO BULLS: KIRK HINRICH / RICHARD HAMILTON
CLEVELAND CAVALIERS: TRISTAN THOMPSON / TYLER ZELLER
DALLAS MAVERICKS: OJ MAYO / SHAWN MARION
DENVER NUGGETS: JAVALE MCGEE / KENETH FARIED
DETROIT PISTONS: TAYSHAUN PRINCE / JONAS JEREBKO
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS: KLAY THOMPSON / HARRISON BARNES
HOUSTON ROCKETS: CHANDLER PARSONS / OMER ASIK
INDIANA PACERS: PAUL GEORGE / GEORGE HILL
LA CLIPPERS: JAMAL CRAWFORD / ERIC BLEDSOE
LA LAKERS: STEVE NASH / ANTAWN JAMISON
MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES: TONY ALLEN / ZACH RANDOPH
MIAMI HEAT: RAY ALLEN / MARIO CHALMERS
MILWAUKEE BUCKS: DREW GOODEN / SAMUEL DALEMBERT
MINNESOTA T-WOLVES: ANDREI KIRILENKO / BRANDON ROY
NEW ORLEANS HORNETS: GREIVIS VAZQUEZ / RYAN ANDERSON
NY KNICKS: RAYMOND FELTON / JR SMITH
OKC THUNDER: KENDRICK PERKINS / SERGE IBAKA
ORLANDO MAGIC: HEDO TURKOGLU / GUSTAVO AYON
PHILADELPHIA 76ers: JASON RICHARDSON / THADDEAUS YOUNG
PHOENIX SUNS: MICHAEL BEASLEY / MARKIEFF MORRIS
PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS: WESLEY MATTHEWS / JJ HICKSON
SACRAMENTO KINGS: JASON THOMPSON / MARCUS THORNTON
SAN ANTONIO SPURS: DANNY GREEN / KAWHI LEONARD
TORONTO RAPTORS: JOSE CALDERON / JONAS VALANCIUNAS
UTAH JAZZ: GORDON HAYWARD / MARVIN WILLIAMS
WASHINGTON WIZARDS: JAN VESELY / JORDAN CRAWFORD
*WILD CARD: ELTON BRAND / JARED SULLINGER
**BOMB (chosen by the other): DANIEL GIBSON / QUENTIN RICHARDSON